How’s it hanging, EZoo Fam? P-EZ’s back in the house (literally) here to drop more wisdom like DJs drop beats at Electric Zoo. One of my favorite ways to keep calm and carry on is practicing yoga. Just because you’re stuck inside doesn’t mean it’s not the perfect time to learn a new practice! Here are some tips on how to get started:
- Get your yoga mat. A big reason yoga is my favorite workout is because all the equipment you need is your body and a mat. You can find a mat easily on Amazon – pick one out that suits your personality! If you’re unable to get a mat right now, you have plenty of alternatives already available in your household. Bust out that festival blanket or a towel and get moving!
- Pick your teacher. Who needs to go to a yoga gym when you have YouTube? There are thousands of channels to choose from when it comes to finding the perfect teacher match for you. I suggest starting with Yoga With Adriene – this instructor has organized playlists with classes that range from beginner to advanced.
- Accept that yoga is an exercise for both body and mind. This is another reason I love yoga so much! Not only is your body growing stronger with each workout, but your mind grows stronger too.
- Don’t compare yourself to others. It may seem intimidating when you see yogis on your feed doing very complicated poses. Remember, your practice is what you make of it, and it is your own. Remember, practice makes perfect! Keep up a consistent workout routine and you’ll be diving into those advanced poses before you know it.
- Wear comfortable clothing. Yoga pants aren’t required, but I do recommend them due to how comfy they are and how easy it is to move around during your workout.
- Remember to breathe! Focusing on your breathing is a huge part of practicing yoga, and also keeps your mind busy as your body is moving.
- Practice often. I recommend practicing for at least an hour three times a week.
- Relax, enjoy and have fun! After each session, you’ll realize how relaxed you are (especially after a good savasana). You’ll also have fun when you realize how much stronger your body is getting.
Congrats! You’re officially a yogi! Tell me what your favorite type of yoga to practice is in the comments. I can’t wait to see my ever-so-strong EZoo Fam this Labor Day Weekend 🙂